Old 07-25-10, 05:03 PM
bigwoo

Bikes: March [B]'71 Schwinn Sports Tourer [/B] [B]

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Not sure, weight-wise the bike is comparable to or lighter than my Serotta, Miyata and Paramount's.....and they are all 56/57cm so it's got to be some sort of good CrMo.. Parts are certainly only low/mid-range, but this happened to many good framesets in the 80's. And who knows how much of this is retrofitted....

I can't count the number of sweet Champion/Infinity/Prestige Univega's and Nishiki's that I've had or seen that had plain lugs and little to no chrome...
I'm hoping that someone will recognize the serial format before I proceed...
I am seeing what appears to be chrome on the stays and fork but there's no way I'm going to start stripping until I know what this thing is. Been there, done that and don't want to go back....

Sorry for the poor dropout image... No grinder, just a bad angle shot on my part....

Good call on the Fuji, I never thought of that over Nishiki. I can't recall if Fuji's switched over to head tube decals or if they kept the Mt Fuji head tube badge into the mid-late 80's... There are no signs of any holes ever existing on the head tube.

Darn Hipsters, blacking out a perfectly good bike..... The kid who did it did quite a good job of laying it on thick and smooth. It doesn't want to come off :^(

Last edited by bigwoo; 07-25-10 at 05:32 PM.