View Single Post
Old 07-26-10, 09:00 AM
KidTruth

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Allez Elite, 2007 Trek 7.3 FX, 2005 generic Schwinn Mountain Bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Energy levels, caffeine problems

I know there are mountains on this subject, but maybe my fellow cyclists can give me some input.

I'm 26 and more physically active than I've ever been in my life. I did my first back-to-back century event (100 miles first day, 100 miles second day) last April and have since mixed in jogging with my routine. I'm 5'11 and 155 pounds. On an average week right now I run about ten miles cycle about 50, but that depends on what kind of event I have coming up.

That said, I run off of coffee, and it's getting old. Because I'm in Texas and the heat is excruciating, I have about a solid hour to bike in the mornings before work. After work I'm so burnt out from my caffeine comedown that I just want to vege out.

So, what's the secret? How do I obtain some sort of constant energy nirvana without caffeine? are there other vitamins or stimulants that don't have the same drawback? I tend to get in a situation where I'm drinking coffee until about 5 PM, and then going to sleep when it wears off. That said, I'd like to use coffee only occasionally when I really need to focus. But without it, how do I get up and be cycling within 20 minutes of waking up? Or, is there a way to live a more balanced life - maybe do my cycling in the evening when it's also cool, and somehow not be totally exhausted?

Any input would be welcome. Thanks in advance.