View Single Post
Old 05-01-05, 11:59 AM
skydive69

Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PenguinDeD
I'm having difficulty understanding lactate threshold. Would increasing it mean that you can perform more work before you go anerobic, or would increasing it mean you are capable of spending more time anerobic?
A higher LT enables you to perform more work (go faster and longer) without going anerobic. Two riders can have the same Vo2max but the one with the higher LT will be able to ride at a pace that would cause the other rider to enter the anerobic zone, hence one would be riding along comfortably while the other is having a painful ride. Unfortunately, it is something that takes a very long time to reach optimal (for a given person) levels.

When I first started riding, I was told by an excellent rider with an incredible record in competition that "It takes many years to develop as a rider." I didn't understand that because I came from a competitive running background, and had a great natural cardio system with a good VO2max. I finally started understanding things when I read Joe Friels, "The Cyclist's Training Bible."

Bottom line is that a high LT enables you to take full advantage of a high Vo2max.