View Single Post
Old 07-27-10, 09:50 PM
groovestew

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Mozzywoods
When I moved, people started giving me dirty looks, so I must have done something wrong.
Please don't conclude that you did something wrong because a driver gave you a dirty look. Getting dirty looks from drivers will happen to every bicycle commuter who travels on the roads. You got a dirty look because they felt inconvenienced, not because you did something wrong. You have the right to be on the road, and you are obligated to follow the same rules as the cars do. You did the right thing.

Originally Posted by Mozzywoods
Am I allowed to stay on the left hand side of the left lane whenever I want, or only when I want to turn? I think I might have moved there to early, I was still a couple minutes from the intersection.

And a guy stood his head out of the window and yelled "get off the road", he looked pretty young and wore his had backwards so I didn't take him too seriously, but seriously enough to ask here.
I've not seen any law in my city that requires me to stay in the right lane. There's the general rule of thumb that slower traffic should keep right, but if you need to make a left turn, move left when appropriate and safe.

Ignore the guy in the hat. A bicycle is a vehicle, and you have the same rights and responsibilities on the road as any other vehicle.