qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by irclean
@qmsdc15 - while I hardly purport to ride like Mr. Cavendish or any of his peers I have often marveled at the side-to-side motion of professional riders as they struggle through their climbs. I have even tried to mimic the motion myself on an occasion or two. Is this an exaggeration of the body's natural sway when standing and climbing on a bike, or are the riders doing it purposely to increase their efficiency?
I'm not a cycling coach and I've only consulted a coach once and it was about seat position with regards to knee pain I was experiencing. So the advice I have given is just stuff I read somewhere. I'm no authority on these matters.

There are many great climbers who don't have great technique. As I tried to say, there should be no effort used to hold the bike steady and likewise there should be no effort used to push it side to side. Climbing out of the saddle, the bike will rock back and forth naturally to keep you balanced. To reduce or increase this will require some extra effort and therefore is less efficient. I believe most of the riders you watched are not exaggerating the natural sway.

Adelaar, don't try to use your arms to power the drivetrain. That is extremely inefficient. Don't pull up on the rising pedal either if efficiency is your goal.

Last edited by qmsdc15; 07-28-10 at 05:51 AM.