View Single Post
Old 07-29-10, 06:54 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by redtires
I was thinking you were relatively new to riding...but you've been a member for two years? Curious...how much do you ride? The reason I ask is that it sounds like it could be a couple of things...one, you could simply need to build endurance, or your fit needs to be adjusted. Or perhaps, a little of both. I know that after taking nearly eight consecutive years off the bike (with only a few rides here and there) it took me a little while to really get comfy on my bike again and build up not only my ability to put in some miles, but also to get my back, shoulder and neck muscles back into the groove as well. One thing, don't be afraid to tinker with your position a little bit at a time, it's a good way to find what works best for you.
+1 It is probably just getting used to the riding position, certainly the sore neck is due to not being used to the position and pulling your head up so far and if you are wearing a helmet, the weight of the helmet will strain the neck muscles for a while. You didn't mention sore or numb hands, does this happen?

Since you have a Cannondale bad boy, to raise the bars you will need to replace the stem with one that has a steeper angle.

Also bike paths are multi use paths (MUP) that are intended for walkers, runners, ect. These paths normally get really crowded. The one I ride on has a mile stretch through some farms and less populated areas so normally only bikes are in this stretch with the occasional jogger. I think that this is because it is so far away from anything.

Congrats on the 16 mile ride, it will get better with more riding.