View Single Post
Old 07-30-10, 10:23 AM
bumpalong

Bikes: 2001 LeMond Poprad, 1983 Vitus, 1973 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1983 Fuji Del Rey, 1974 Fuji S-10, 1956 Triumph, 1971 Raleigh DL-1, 1964 Phillips, 1982 Motobecane Supermirage, 1962 Raleigh Superb, 1958 Robin Hood, 1966(?) Raleigh Sprite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks - this is all encouraging. My experience with Simplex is limitted to the stuff that came on a Raleigh Gran Sports (and yes, mine does read 'Sports' - so now with a 'Jubile' I seem to be specializing in models with a one off spelling...), which has the aweful Delrin FD collar, which I snapped before I even getting off on my first ride. I guess I had my heart set on a 531 frame and a triple crank so I was a little taken aback. Though yes - I figured for $65 I couldn't go too far wrong.

Very glad to hear the Simplex and Mafac's will likely do the trick. I'd prefer to keep the bike as is, but I will be riding it so it needs to work.

Any idea what lugs these are? Were they too made by Motobecane? Also, does anyone have experience comparing the ride of a Vitus tubed Jubile(e) to a 531 frame? Is there a noticeable difference? Finally, I have always understood the Jubilee to be Motobecane's top of the line tourer. Is that correct? If so, why by the begining of the 80's wouldn't they be equipping these with a triple crank?