Old 07-30-10, 07:04 PM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dscheidt
When it was on kreuzotter.de, there were a whole bunch of citations, to people who had wind tunnels and had written about it. You're probably overestimating the windspeed your riding in, underestimating the slope of what you think are flat sections, and neglecting to consider time spent accelerating. (All are very common, and hard to measure without instruments.) Weight matters not a whole lot to maintaining a constant speed on level ground; the weight term gets swamped by air drag at 15 or so mph. it matters a great deal when you try and accelerate it, which Kruezotter doesn't consider. (and just a couple stops can kill average speed.) and even tiny hills change power output amazingly. A 0.5% grade -- six inches in a one hundred feet, 26 feet in a mile, an angle of 0.29 degrees -- is enough to make you work harder on it.
Sounds like you're agreeing with me: the website is a terrible approximation of real-world power output.

Given a choice between the website and the PowerTap, I'm more likely to believe the PowerTap since it's measuring the real-world. FWIW,

- I use the Garmin's estimate for road slope. It seems to match pretty closely with data from Google

- During a 30- or 40-mile ride, acceleration seems to have little impact on average power output. Which makes sense: the average is time-weighted and I only spend a handful of minutes accelerating at 600+ watts versus hours grinding along at 200w

- Using this chart it should be pretty easy to estimate wind speed. Lots of room for error... but the errors don't seem to be big enough to account for the differences between the PT and website.