Old 08-02-10, 05:04 AM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Degreaser makes it easy to remove old lube and contaminants but what do you use to clean the degreaser off your chain? If you don't get it all off, won't it contaminate the new lube? Probably your procedure reduces friction in the chain to a greater degree than mine. I don't think wax is as slippery as oil, but I think it's good enough.

My procedure is much easier and needs to be done less frequently. I offer it as an alternative that works OK and I believe uses less toxic chemicals and produces less waste than most other methods. For lazy people like me, who like clean drivetrain parts but don't like cleaning them.

No chain removal. Similar to "hot scraping" method of cleaning ski bases, the new wax mixes with the old wax and dirt then it's wiped/scraped off. You need to apply and remove two or three times until the wax you are wiping or scraping off is clean at which point you know the wax in the chain or ski is clean.

65's mixture is an interesting oil based version of this "clean and lube" concept.

I've only tried three brands of wax lube, I liked Rock n' Roll and White Lightning brands. I've used paraffin many years ago, which probably is better than commercial wax lubes, but it involved removing chain and melting wax in a double boiler. A wax lube for those who prefer a labor intensive procedure.

I don't ride off road much but the principle advantage of wax is it doesn't attract dirt as much as oil. Junk does get on the chain and cogs, but not nearly as much. I tend to clean my cogs when I replace a drive side spoke. I should clean cogs more often, but I'm not seeing the nasty build up I got when I used oil.

Last edited by qmsdc15; 08-02-10 at 05:14 AM.