View Single Post
Old 08-02-10, 09:14 PM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by I like free
I do fine on the old SR, and that is really as fast as I need to go. I'm getting older and healing takes longer. My budget will likely be $6-700 or less if I find a good buy, so to get quality, used is pretty well my only option I think. So here are the questions I have.

What are the compenents I should looking at and how do they rank? I have heard that Tiagra should be the lowest I should consider.

What frame material will suit me? I ride steel now and am not opposed to it at all and it seems you can get some values if you are willing to settle for steel.

There are a bozillion manufacturers out there so is there any makes or models I should stay away from? A big box, or bike direct bike is not something I am considering.

I see a lot of older downtube shifter bikes that are very good quality it seems. Is there any reason not to get one for touring? My current bike has down tubes and I would much rather have index I think but I would settle for a quality friction shift over a junk indexer.

Are all down tube shifters friction?

What about bar end shifters?

Are there road bikes that are capable of touring or do I need a dedicated tourer, and how do I tell?

I think thats enough crazy questions for now, and I am looking forward to hitting the road. Thanks!

Is the SR not acceptable as a touring bike?

Your budget determines the components. Once you've set that parameter you don't have a choice over components nor does it really matter.

The frame material is whatever you can find that fits your budget. In new bikes aluminum is common.

What are your general dimensions and how big of a load are you carrying?

If you aren't familiar with bike repair then getting a new bike will save you a lot of trouble.

Nearly any general purpose bicycle can be used for touring.