Old 08-03-10, 09:40 AM
PurpleK
Velocipedic Practitioner

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Bianchi Volpe, Trek 5000, Santana Arriva tandem, Pashley Sovereign, among others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By Specialized Sirrus, I'm assuming you mean the aluminum one with flat bars that first came out in the early 2000's. (Earlier Sirrus models were steel frame with drop bars.)
I commuted daily on one of the flat bar models for eight years and absolutely loved that bike as a commuter. I even thought it would make a decent tourer with its triple crank, triple water bottle mounts, mounts for rear and front low rider racks and ample space for fenders. For my commute, I never used tires wider than 28s, but there should be room to go wider.
That said, I also think there are some drawbacks for a tour on the scope of the TransAm. I don't believe the flat bars offer enough hand positions for a tour of that length, even with bar extensions. I also had issues with frequent spoke breakage on the rear wheel, even with a light commuting load. (I had the rear wheel rebuilt and that greatly reduced spoke breakage, but that was with loads far less than a cross continental journey would require.)
The bottom line is I would not generally recommend a Sirrus for a TransAm without some modifications. I believe you will experience more discomfort and equipment problems than if you were using a bike more dedicated to touring. However, you could do worse and people have probably completed such a trip with far less suitable bikes.