Old 08-03-10, 09:55 PM
MNiceGuy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looking for a simple around-town/path bike

I currently have an '09 Specialized FSRxc Comp which is a champion of off-road. Occasionally there's the desire to hit a tame paved path or just cruise around town. Sure the FSR works but it's not necessarily the correct tool for the job.

I giving long looks to the following bikes:

'10 Specialized/Globe Roll 1 ($500)
'10 Trek Soho S ($500)
'09 Cannondale Bad Boy Base ($550)
'10 Gary Fisher Gritty ($439)

You'll notice the majority of these are fixed and/or single-speed. I like the idea of an absolute basic bike which is lightweight and low on hassle. Since it won't be for 100-mile, adrenaline-fueled super tours I thought the idea fit. All I need is the leisurely cruise or 10-mile path.

GLOBE:

I like the look of the Globe but it might be a little too basic. The hard plastic seat and knurled metal grips might be too unforgiving for me. I'm also curious how it's primarily steel construction affects its weight.

SOHO S:

This is the leading candidate at the moment. Padded seat, aluminum frame, and rubber grips seam to give it an advantage over the Globe for the money. I can't get my hands on the white variant so it's boring black only.

BAD BOY:

From what I understand this leans more toward a MTB in its geometry and handling. It's the only geared bike I'm looking at which makes it more versatile but also adds to the maintenance routine. Common sense tells me this weighs more than the Soho S.

GRITTY:

What happens when a road bike and a BMX bike "get together". The BMX touches pull and my nostalgia strings since that was my only riding style way back when.

I'm very open to opinions or alternate suggestions.

Thanks!