Old 08-05-10, 08:43 PM
mtalinm

Bikes: 2009 Trek Soho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
stem swap?

I am thinking of swapping the stems on my two bikes, but I am not sure whether this is possible/advisable.

when I got my Trek Soho six months ago I wasn't flexible at all and had a hard time reaching the handlebars. the LBS swapped the stem for a short one, and things were fine. nowadays and a couple thousand miles later, I find the handlebars a bit close, I think b/c I'm more flexible.

pretty sure I can take it back and they'll replace the short stem with the regular one. but I am thinking the short stem could be useful on my road bike, because...

...my Spec Roubaix is maybe a little large for me, so I strain a bit getting to the hoods/drops. I could take it in for a full fitting, but my guess is that after they tell me "you should have gotten a 52 instead of a 54" they'll suggest putting a shorter stem on it.

so I'm wondering, is there any reason I can't put the short stem from the Soho on the Roubaix, and vice versa? might make both look slightly like frankenbikes, but my visual appearance is nothing to write home about as it is :-)