Old 08-05-10, 09:53 PM
Bubu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
1/4" - 28tpi would be the fine thread for quarter inch. 1/4-20 is standard coarse thread for 1/4". If you have a Miyata, I suspect you have size M5 fender and water bottle mounts I would think. A good investment would be in both a standard (imperial) and metric thread gauge. When you find an exact match for your threads It saves you a lot of time and eliminates all doubt.
Oh, maybe it's 28 tpi, I saw no screws at all with that tpi at the store... And yes, for the bottle and fenders mounts it seems to be M5 as I've been told but the middle lowrider mounts have bigger screws than the other ones on the bike. That's the problem! The screws that came with the rack are ok for the rest of the brazons but too small for the lowrider brazons on the front fork.

Originally Posted by Bezalel
The standard braze-ons are threaded to accept M5X.80 metric screws. They are commonly availbile in 10, 12, 16, & 20mm lengths. 1-1/2" or 36mm seems pretty long and might not be able to take the stress of a loaded rack. (I know that 1-1/2" is not not 36 mm but this is probably the closest size available)
I may not need that long but to get everything parallel and leave enough space for pannier hooks and also to get the screw in the furthest possible I measured close to that. So that's , in order, the lowrider frame, a couple spacers and finally the fork whole fork brazon (or should it be braze-in? hmmm...) Maybe I could bend the stabilization bar on the lowrider rack to get it closer and need less spacers on the fork but I was trying not to play with that.