View Single Post
Old 08-06-10, 09:03 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by skilsaw
Good question.
I am a clydesdale. Over 200 lbs. and want the 40 spoke rear wheel.
The only other touring bike that I know of with a 26 inch wheel is the Long Haul Trucker.
But that is only in the small sizes. Large sizes have a 700 wheel. I need a 60 cm frame because I am tall.
The world traveller is similar to old model mountain bikes called "Expedition". (I think Specialized and Nishiki had them.) I like the geometry and upright riding position. It is a real endurance bike rather than a fast bike.
Thanks for clarifying.

First, let me say, I think the World Traveler is a great bike, as near as I can tell from looking at my friend's bike and what I have read. I was simply wondering why you wanted a bike you hadn't seen.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the Surly LHT, just in the past year or so, started making bikes with 26-inch wheels in larger sizes (see geometry chart)....though I did notice that on their website in one place they still say that 26-inch wheels is only on their small sizes, their (new) frame geometry chart shoes it in larger sizes as well:

http://surlybikes.com/frames/long_haul_trucker_frame/

There are a couple of other *very* stout bikes made with 26-inch wheels for you to consider:

1. The Co-Motion Pangea.
2. Bruce Gordon has a 26-inch touring bike.
3. The Rodriguez Adventure Cycle (www.rodcycle.com).

Plus a range of European makers -- Thorn, Roberts, etc.