View Single Post
Old 08-07-10, 05:19 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4246 Post(s)
Liked 1,351 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by taos07
How long would you say it will be before another company comes out with an electronic drivetrain that is less than $2500? Seems like it should be possible to build this stuff for under $1000 easily.
It's a new product. Why do you assume Shimano won't lower the price in the future?

Originally Posted by Velo Dog
Not that this has anything to do with the question you asked, but do you think there's really a market for it? I haven't tried it, but my bikes shift so well now that I can't imagine spending even a few dollars to make them do it better, certainly not anywhere near $1000.
Of course I go back to the downtube/friction days, so my perspective may be skewed. But, seriously, if somebody offered me the full setup for, say, $100, I don't think I'd take it. I know it wouldn't make me faster, and I don't think it would make riding more fun.
There's a market for $4000+ bikes without electronic shifting. Since Shimano is selling electronic shifting, there's a market for it.

Electronic shifting is probably not much of an advantage for just riding around (given the cost) but it appears to work very well for racing. It might remain a high end-thing.

Electronic shifting also allows buttons in different places. This could be useful for time-trial bikes.

Originally Posted by Velo Dog
NOf course I go back to the downtube/friction days, so my perspective may be skewed. But, seriously, if somebody offered me the full setup for, say, $100, I don't think I'd take it. I know it wouldn't make me faster, and I don't think it would make riding more fun.
This is the "I don't like it therefore it sucks for everybody" argument. Your "perspective" is skewed and limited.

Brifters are better for racing and high speed group rides. They cost about $300. Your $100 "price" doesn't make any sense.

Electronic shifting won't be for everybody and down-tube friction shifters work pretty well too.

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-07-10 at 05:30 PM.