Old 08-08-10, 04:36 AM
Adamant Finn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I fell in love with a Ciocc and I didn't even know her name

Hello Everyone,

About a year ago I decided to start riding again after years of being out of the saddle. Some friends of mine were riding fancy single speeds and though it was not at all what I was used to, growing up on "10 speeds", the thought of one was intriguing. I didn't want just another store bought fixie. So I started reading and looking, for something that I wasn't quite sure what it was yet. I pored through Sheldon Brown's site daily, with new questions that cropped up from the answers I'd gotten the day before. And THIS site, are you kidding? If I said I got lost here it would imply that I found my way out (which happily I have not)!

I went to a bunch of my local bike stores and thrift stores, read Craig's List saw tons of bikes but none of them seemed right. Until last month on eBay when the warm red and chrome of a beat up old Ciocc frame caught my eye.

I'm sure I paid too much for her, but I don't really care. This bike is terrific, chipped paint, rust and all. The problem is, of course, that she is not nor ever should be a fixie. So I'm going to build her up and I'd like to use period appropriate parts, brakes and derailleurs, etc. I've tried the best I could to date/model but the best I can come up with is late 80's early 90's "Road Bike".

Can you guys please help me to figure out what she is and what components I should be looking for?

Besides the pictures there's not much else I know about it. I don't know if the BB is original. The seat tube is 27.2mm, rear wheel spacing is 128mm, it will accommodate 700c wheels and has two sets of water bottle bosses.

Thank you!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMGP1455..jpg (80.9 KB, 330 views)
IMGP1463..jpg (81.3 KB, 68 views)
IMGP1457..jpg (85.2 KB, 67 views)
IMGP1460..jpg (100.0 KB, 63 views)
IMGP1452..jpg (102.8 KB, 361 views)
IMGP1454..jpg (87.7 KB, 78 views)
IMGP1461..jpg (80.8 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by Adamant Finn; 08-08-10 at 04:40 AM.