View Single Post
Old 08-08-10, 07:47 PM
Colonelmom

Bikes: Giant, Jamis fixie, Orbea Orca; Ceverlo P2SL TT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My question: I've been doing Women's Cat 4 races only this year. The previous two years I did some Women's open fields but those were an exercise in frustration. I only managed to hold on to the field in one of the Open fields, and that's because there were 9 of us and everyone was taking it easy because there was a major race the next day.

This year, NJ split the Crit Championships into two days - one for Masters. Well, the person in charge of the Masters Crit Championship has decided to lump the Women, Men 55+ and Men 65+ into a single field, and throw in some non Masters championship races. I've never raced with the men before. My team is talking about boycotting in entirely. I'm not sure if I should try it or not. My team captain has me scared to race with men (that's how she broke her arm). After that race, I have two more crits left in my season and both are Women's Open fields. So I'm wondering if I should try to race with the older men, or take another weekend to work on hard intervals.[/QUOTE]

Around here.. the Men's Master's races are faster.... but much safer for reason's already stated.. these guys tend to be more sensible.. though fast... knowing that folks don't heal as quick.. and most of us still have jobs we have to go to come Monday morning... If you know someone in the field.. tell him you're going to race and ask if you can sit his wheel....for the first few laps... he'll probably say yes and keep and eye out for you in the race...

Good luck