Old 08-08-10, 09:08 PM
bhdavis1978

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite, Jamis Citizen 3.0, Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LDB
I vote for this one because of the store and salesman. I am very big on local shops that give good service and work for the benefit of the customer, not just for the benefit of the current sale.

Now, given your pending move, I'd ask them for the bike for maybe $1300 with just one free tune up prior to your moving away with the bike rather than 2 years worth. Good luck with your decision.
That's a good suggestion actually, and yes- I think it's important to support local shops that give good service. If I didn't already really like the local bike store I bought my other bikes from, and they didn't have some other bikes I was strongly considering- than that alone would put this over the top, but I do have a history with the other bike store that is selling the Fuji and the Kestral, and I'm very happy with them- so that sort of becomes a toss up. Plus, the Fuji/Kestral LBS is really close to my house- I can easily do group rides with them, ride the bike over for service, etc. This other place is a good 7 miles away from my place, which would make it harder to use them for quick and easy adjustments, and group rides, etc. But I completely agree with your sentiment.

Originally Posted by ciocc_cat
The Allez "Double Steel" (with good ol' reliable DT shifters!) is my personal favorite, but then again I'm "old school" and prefer durable lightweight steel to more easily damaged (based on numerous posts on BF) carbon fiber . . .
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...45678&eid=4350
Ehh, I've got to be honest- and if I had a bike crash severe enough to damage the frame enough that it'd need to be welded to be repaired, then I think I'd probably be contemplating a different frame at that point. It'd totally screw up the paint job and finish (which are arguably, not the most important thing), and I'd wonder if there were less than visible fractures elsewhere. So at that point, I'd probably be considering a new frame anyway. About the only instance where I can imagine having a steel frame having far superior attributes for repairability, would be if there is a complete economic collapse- something on par with the 1870 depression, in which case having an easily repaired bike frame would be a major asset. But I'm going to be honest, I'm a big wuss, and if that happens, my neighbors are probably going to come, kill me, and eat me. (okay, maybe that was a bit of hyperbole, but I'll leave it to you to figure out where).

Originally Posted by dss8653
I just did the same thing you are going through. I ended up getting the 2010 allez elite on Saturday. It was the right bike for me. Good luck, they are all good bikes.
Yeah, they are- and that's actually what's making this so difficult. I'd be pretty happy on all of them. Really, a it seems to come down to two questions:

carbon or aluminum?
105 or ultegra?

ultegra does shift *soo* much nicer than 105- maybe that bike was just tuned better than the other 105s, maybe not- but it was so much crisper. But the 105 is much nicer than the Tiagra I have as a front derailer on my current bike, by a long shot.

Originally Posted by dahut
Given the choice, I'd take the Giant. It had the WOW factor you want for that kind of money.
Yeah- I think I need to test ride that bike again- take it for a longer ride maybe. My only rational (??) concern is that the bike felt a bit too flexy or compliant, or insufficiently stiff- or something- compared to all the other bikes. Or maybe, it I'm just being insane and it's the perfect bike for me? I don't know. It's not like it's out of the question that I'd be overly neurotic about something like this.

Originally Posted by BigSean
After reading all your mini reviews it sounded to me like it was between the Giant and the Kestrel. My first thought it the Giant, but considering you are not buying your first bike, I feel like your in this for the long haul. That in mind maybe the Kestrel is the right choice. To me it would be between those two. Better components, or save the money?? Thats the real choice. If your gonna be riding alot Id go carbon.
I sort of feel, that if I am going to spend the money on the Kestral - at $1700, I should get the Fuji. The Kestral doesn't include pedals or shoes. That's gonna add another $200- and then there's tax. That's gonna take me up to $2000. The Fuji Team Pro- is pedals, shoes, and cleats for $2000. It's just a totally ridiculous price. And it's fully ultegra- yes, it's 6600- but the Kestral is 5600.

It's funny to me, that no one has mentioned the Trek 2.3 much. Really, the only good thing about the 2.3 was that it was a triple, rather than a compact or a double. And I'm not sure that's an issue worth worrying about. I'll just build stronger muscles

I think I've further narrowed it down to either the Specialized Allez Pro from my friend, or the Fuji Team Pro. The rest of them are a pretty good price, but I could probably find them at a pretty good price anytime. Maybe they'd be $100 or $150 more but not so much more that it makes this a somewhat pressing issue. The Fuji Team Pro definitely has that (since it's a store selling it), and my friends Specialized Allez Pro a bit too. Also, from that perspective- the Giant TCR C3 is a super good price, so maybe I'd put that back onto my short list.

Has anyone spent much time on the TCR C3 frame who could talk some sense into me about my concerns re: flexy and compliance?

Cheers people,
Brad