Old 08-10-10, 08:53 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
First thing, change to larger section tires if you have the fork and chainstay clearance to accomodate them. Any kind of load changes the bike's handling so it'll reduce your ability to help the bike absorb bumps and potholes.

Other than that, it's a tough call. Your low weight speaks to your ability to get by with the lower spoke count, but in my experience, riding style is more of a factor than weight alone and only you know how your wheels tend to hold up in general.

Besides strength and the risk of wheel failure, (broken spokes or out of true) also consider the consequences of failure during a trip in the hinterlands. Traditional 32 and 36h wheels are easily serviced on the road either by yourself, or in local shops, but low spoke wheels are difficult and sometimes impossible to field service, so you have to consider what impact a failure will have on your trip.

In your shoes, the risk of getting stranded would be enough for me to strongly consider having a 32h pair of wheels (or at least the rear) built for the tour. But in the end, you'll have to digest all the advice you get, roll the dice, and make your own decision.

Whatever you decide, have a great trip.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 08-10-10 at 08:57 AM.