Old 09-06-02, 01:57 AM
Bokkie
Jubalayo Unogwaja!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hill climb burnout problem?

Explain this to me, if there is a reason. I weigh 90Kg, height 1.8m. I go to gym 3x a week, and ride 2x a week. I do a lot of weights. I think my overall strength for my age (48) is actually very good. I think I'm possibly in the top % of fitness for my age group. I can jog quite fast (for me) for 40mins on a treadmill. I have good body strength. I lift and press good weights. My leg strength is also very good. But when I ride, I suffer from burnout very quickly.

In comparison (I know you can't compare apples and oranges) my wife is generally unfit. Yet on hills and long slopes, she often leaves me trailing, and she can ride in much bigger gears than I can. I find this quite upsetting - it almost makes a mockery of my exercise regimen. For health reasons I do about 60% anaerobic 40% aerobic. In theory, I should at least be able to handle the anaerobic threshold (like hill climbing) far better than I can.

My bike is a good fit. I could raise the saddle another 5cm or so to get a more perfect leg stroke but overall, I don't think there is much wrong with the bike or the way I ride it. I use the rear lock-out on the level, faster stretches so going into 'hardtail-ish' mode helps on that. It's just these darned hills that bug me.

Maybe I need to change the exercise I do and perhaps do something new or different?:confused:

Does anyone have some thoughts on this?