Old 08-11-10, 07:07 PM
Thegreekone

Bikes: LOOKing. ;)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have lost close to 200 LBS but still have a long way to go. At just under 300 lbs..

Dear all,

I have been blessed with good genes and have avoided the whole "pre-diabetes and high BP," even at 470+ lbs. That said, it seemed like everything hurt, I was breathing hard, and never felt "good" anymore. Furthermore, I was so easily fatigued.

Fast forward, after a year on a hospital sponsored diet that a friend calls "Atkins for Navy Seals and lots of swimming (low impact), I am finally under 300lbs and feel like I am feeling great.

I want OUT of the gym and want to hit the "road." I used to own a "Cilo" and have been thinking about having my LBS do an overhaul and build some custom wheels, but i think I want a new bike.

My question is, after a long intro, am I relegated to a mountain bike for now? Are there road bikes out there that will serve me well?

I assume that I will bust up lightweight build outs and that strength and durability rule supreme, yes? Steel frame? Carbon? Scandium?

Is there a component "group" that is uber-clyde friendly? If so, what is it?

While I don't want to pay 5K, I think I deserve a bike that I will enjoy and want to ride. Furthermore, as I continue to lose weight, I can upgrade components due to wearing them out or ready to "go light."

Thanks in advance for your time, attention, and willingness to share your experience and expertise.

TG