operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by bikefreakvinnie
I've converted one of my bicycles to have an electric assist function using a small 24 volt hub motor and conversion kit. Don't worry I still have 5 other normal bicycles!..

Anyway I've checked the tension on this Suzhou Bafang hubed wheel and its very erratic after just 1000 kms. Using the Park Tool TM-1 Spoke Tension Meter the tension for this 36 spoke front wheel varies from 12 to 20 (on the meter).
I've built a number of wheels and in this case my plan is to aim for good even tension, if it was made from double butted stainless steel I'd aim for 100kgf.

But the trouble is I don't know what material the spokes are made from... From the attached picture and with this background info would anyone have any ideas? They dont seen to butted, I have a feeling it may be made from Titanium.
If you built a bunch of wheels your hands should roughly know whether something is much too high or much too low. Even if you don't know the absolute tension on the spokes, you can still use the TM-1 to balance the overal tension of spokes in the wheel.

Once that is done, if the wheel still comes out of true you can up the tension.