Old 08-12-10, 11:32 AM
simplygib

Bikes: Hard Rock Sport, Peugeot Triathlon, Schwinn Paramount Series 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kbbpll
Not sure if I agree with the OP's "cheap" thing, in the way phrased. Get the best you can afford, and use it for 30 years. Maybe it was another way of complementing people who don't fall for the latest and greatest just because some d-bag in a color-coordinated full kit says you need it.
Not sure about the OP, but for me it comes down to individual components. Some you can easily get by with "cheap." Others, quality is paramount. I've got an inexpensive bike. It's built like a tank, has carried me over many thousands of miles, and I don't see any need to replace it. I just replace components as they wear out. But I've got quality panniers (Ortliebs). Tried going the cheap route initially but the resulting trouble wasn't worth it. I had a cheap computer that I just replaced with a Cateye. The cheap one's display would black out in direct sunlight. Used to ride and tour on cheap tires. Too many problems. Now I ride on Schwalbes and love them. The additional mileage I get out of them actually makes them not as expensive as they might seem. It always seems to be a trial and error with me. Slow learner, I guess.