View Single Post
Old 08-12-10, 11:32 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 250 Posts
Nice pic of a sign somewhere by a farm. That sure explains things. pfft Where is the road ???
Any granny on a one speed bike can go faster than 30 km.
The story explains NOTHING about sharing any road.
Sharing means using as little of the street as possible so that OTHERS can do the same.
So what , if the cars are going by in the same lane at 30 mph ?
I have used the ride to the right philosophy with zero problems. How the hell does that denigrate my equal rights to use the roads ???? NOBODY tells me to get off the road or doesn't let me go left around buses or whatever.
Of course we need 3 or 4 feet from car doors.
I use side streets, sidewalks, any streets, whatever. Our bike lanes are now mostly on 1 way streets for some reason. I don't need to slow anybody down , anywhere, to feel safe. These Tempo30 laws seem fn ******** , anywhere in North America.

I have ridden in plenty of cities from here to Houston.
I had to ride the freeway to get into Ft.Worth from Arlington. A trooper called me over at the entrance, and asked what i was doing. Then said ok. It wasn't that busy anyway.
Car and truck drivers aren't stupid, they slow down behind me in tight lanes, city or highway.

I have no problems using the freeway, most places. Maybe I double cross the merge lane or maybe not.
I let the cars pass right/ left whatever. I have zero need to take the lane there.
I was going 31 mph part of the time on a 42 lb hybrid bike.
I have been on the full 4 lane freeway out of Salt Lake and needed to go 79 mph to get away from trucks. Sure couldn't ride a bike on those freeways.

Go to Vietnam and you will learn to SHARE the road in a BIG hurry. Bicycles and motorcycles going straight/diagonal/wrong way in the right gutter. Your knees /handlebars are bumping anybody/anything, especially
in traffic circles where you need to elbow cars. And it is FUN. Lanes? haha what lanes? Whole families clinging on those Honda125s. I never saw 1 baby crying either.
Does anybody stop for any pedestrians there? NO You take a step and they go
in front/ in behind and you merge like a school of fish.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 08-12-10 at 11:58 AM.