View Single Post
Old 08-12-10, 12:59 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
oh, i thought the poll options accurately reflected the points of view of the forum. the last option is kind of a throwaway, knowing full well it was an option for the idealogue.

surely in consideration of shareable roads for bicycling, insistences that roads greater than 50 mph is a nice, shareable road speed for bicyclists approaches the ludicrous. i felt 50mph roads represented the upper range of realistic options for forum members to choose from.

the other choices are judgement free, only the last was for idealogues and yes, skew attached. i'm not trying for a 'scientific' sample, there are plenty of bonifide parameters for this.

the london cycling program actually has a great graphic showing the applicability of differing road designs in conjunction with speeds and traffic volumes; above 80 km/hr there are very few instances London transportation engineers would consider a road as safely shareable without class specificity along that travel corridor.

'any speed is shareable' is not a realistic, humanistic poll choice, therefore it is slightly mocked in the poll. my apologies for recognizing human nature and the limitations established by professional traffic engineers in developing standards for road design.