View Single Post
Old 08-12-10, 11:43 PM
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Good ride. The thing I hated most about pursuits was getting the "pursuiter's cough" for a couple of hours after the ride - just sitting there and dry-coughing your guts out.
I don't like doing 2000m pursuits - I don't really consider it a pursuit, since it's short enough (I think) to be a sprint (rather than endurance) event. Most good kilo riders can beat me in a 2000m pursuit, but I know I can beat some of them at 3000 meters. I always figured that a good 2000m was merely a poorly ridden 3000 (starting too fast) cut short by a kilo. The idea in the 2000 is just to start off too fast for a 3000 and then just hang on. My technique for the 3000 was always to start slow and do negative splits; I think my personal best was about 3:55 at sea level (San Diego) and 3:52 at altitude (Colorado Sprngs), but that was when I was in my 40's. My pb for a 2000 was 2:32 at Manchester at racing age 52, and I think that was only good enough for about 7th or 8th in 50-54.
Man, I'm glad I'm not doing that stuff anymore.

Luis