View Single Post
Old 05-04-05, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
It's supposed to be the protocol that you encourage cross training and sports and do it for fun until they hit their mid teens. Then they're encouraged to specialize and pick something you'd like to do. I see teens pushed too often and too early, and then they burn out before they're out of high school. What a shame.

My nephew is so cool- he loves to ride, but it's always for fun in his case, and I encourage him to do lots of stuff- basketball, running, karate, and bicycling. He's very fast as a cyclist. At 5 years old, he was clipping along at 11 miles per hour and doing fartlek sprints with me, but I definitely wouldn't be pushing him into anything for the next 10 years. Who knows, maybe he'll end up being the next Chuck Norris or something . Plus, I don't want to burn him out prematurely. It's kind of exciting to see where he'll end up. I only encourage him to continue working on doing the splits. He's incredibly limber and can do the splits both ways, and when a dood can do the splits, that's to be encouraged at all costs, in my opinion.

Don't sweat the small stuff, grasshopper. Take your time with it, cross train, develop your overall fitness, and when you're the correct age, you'll be ready to train for real.

Koffee