View Single Post
Old 08-15-10, 06:36 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by MacCruiskeen
It was too nice not to ride today. Managed to actually get out around 6:40 and it was still pretty cool. Did a northerly loop: through Medford around the Fells, up 28 through Reading to 62, the 62 to 114 taking me back down through Peabody, Salem and Marblehead, to 129, then 107. I really wish they'd hurry up and finish the construction on 107. There's a stretch through the marshes where you're squeezed between Jersey barriers, and there's just barely enough space for cars to pass you, which was fine until a big truck comes up behind me, and I have to sprint to get to spot where I can pull aside. So when I manage to recover from that, I get back on the road, and then there's a bus. Fortunately, by that point, I'm near the end of the obstruction. Kind of annoyed that as I'm going through Revere my computer decides to stop registering my speed and miles. But I think that was the longest single ride I've managed so far--I'm trying to work up to being able to get to Gloucester and back in one day.
I enjoyed reading this post as it describes a lot of nice riding on the northern side of Boston that I don’t do often enough, because my riding destination is usually down southwest to Norwood. It just so happened that on this past Friday, I was able to do a nice ride from Kenmore Square through Medford to Woburn, Montvale Ave to Stoneham, and back down Rte 28, the Fellsway back to Rte 28, then Washington St in Somerville to Prospect St and Mass Ave. Previously I usually took Rte 28 all the way down to The Museum of Science. A particularly nice, first-time segment I did was Governor’s Ave off of Rte 38-60 (High Street) in Meffa to S. Border Rd through the Fells reservation to Winchester. That is a really pretty town.

When I go to the North Shore I never ride Rte 107 south of Franklin St in Lynn, and then only when I’ve been lost. My preferred route to the North Shore is the Alford St Bridge to Rte 99 up to Lynn Street which passes under Rte 1 to becomes Salem Street, to Cliftondale in Saugus; and I continue on to Lincoln and Boston Streets to Lynn. Then I can take Franklin St to the Lynnway to ride around Nahant (recommended), and/or Rte 1A up the shoreline. Also from Boston St in Lynn, a nice inland route is via Parkland to Broadway – Lynn Streets up to Washington Street in Peabody and on to Salem.

On an early morning departure, I might get on to the Revere Beach Parkway, to access Winthrop and/or Revere Beach. I also have taken Beacham St off of Rte 99 in Everett, which makes its way to East Boston and Winthrop. Its not well paved, but on an early morning departure, almost any road is easily ridden. The North Shore from Swampscott to Salem is pretty nice but the riding is even better IMO from Beverly up to Rockport on 127A.

Finally, Rte 62 is also a favorite road, and I have ridden it in segments from Sudbury to Danvers, the longest segment from North Reading to Danvers.