View Single Post
Old 08-15-10, 07:54 PM
RapidRobert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a Witcomb USA in '78, after meeting Peter Weigle on Bikecentennial in '76. We met on Lolo Summit, where he stripped naked and stood like flying victory on top of the sign. I sent him the pic I took back then but have the negative. Everything but shoes and Campy hat. But I digress.

Here's a pic of me riding it at RAGBRAI in '79, but not too good a pic of the bike. I had white fenders on it and a Blackburn rack.
BobinIowa2..jpg

Second to last day of that ride, I slammed right into the rear left corner of the Uhaul bike shop trailer seen below, parked half off the road. I'd been cruising along talking to a girl, saw the vehicle parked way ahead and the road sloping down right after it, looked down as I shifted into a higher gear and as I got it on and looked up ..... WHAM!!!!!!!
Van&Trailer..jpg

Hit hard on the corner of that non-moveable corner of steel, broke my right collar bone, flipped over and watched a ring of observers form, all checking me out. Heard a voice a distance away say "maaaannnnnn, you killed your bike!". Damn! Less than a year old. Bent the fork back and broke the crown, and lost that years ago. Still have the frame, bent under the front of the top and down tubes.
WitcombUSA..jpg