DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by markhr
Not pointing any fingers and purely out of curiosity would riding in the 2nd lane from the right be any safer, i.e., not the turning lane thus avoiding right turning traffic?
If it's a typical right turning lane then the lane pretty much appears off to the right. Vehicles will suddenly come out of the now 2nd. lane (rightmost through-lane) and enter the turning lane. I imagine a cyclist in the right turning lane that was not adequitely lit could appear to "suddenly come out of nowhere" as the car entered the turn lane. Depending on the speed, there might not have been enough time or space to stop in order to avoid a collision. Now it is unclear from the report and we will probably never know if the cyclist meant to actually turn right or go straight on through. I have seen many inexperienced cyclist treat the right turn lane as a shoulder and go straight on through. As such, they're usually in the middle of the lane. If I'm going straight then I will position myself to the right of the rightmost through lane... typically a half handlebar's width left of the rightmost edge of that lane. This gives vehicles wanting to turn right room to my right and signals to vehicles in the through lane that I'm intending to go straight. I am also legally in the proper lane. I also make it a point to make hand motions (back and forth sweep) and if it's at night, I will have on reflective and active lighting (blinkie armband or something similar) to attract their attention and make known I'm there and my intentions.

If however I was in the process of turning right, depending on the shoulder which from accounts in this case seems to be very minimal, I would stay to the right of the right turn lane (again around half a handlebar's width left of the rightmost edge given reasonable road conditions) thus giving room for right-turning cars to pass to my left. Now I'm not saying that the cyclist who was killed was doing something wrong... again, we don't have enough information to conclude anything. Nor do we know if doing anything differently would have saved her either.