Old 05-04-05, 06:13 PM
Bikeophile
BIG RING

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crash!

So I blame this on a combination of bad lighting, bad luck and being half asleep.

Last night just before midnight I was riding along, and I got to the entrance to the building (I am there every day so I should know it). There is about a 6inch curb, which at one point has pavement built up on it so it is like a ramp into a driveway. I usually just pop up on it and head inside.

But last night I must have misjudged the curb and where I had THOUGHT the ramp was, was actually about 10 feet past where I decided to pop up on the curb. So I hit the curb at about 20km/hour and although I WAS able to get my front wheel over the curb I was still launched over the handlebars directly into the chain link fench along the side of the sidewalk.

The bike hit hard too, but there wasn't too much damage done, but enough. Bent Wheel, brake caliper twisted (I don't know how the fork survived the brake twisting, but its fine). The bar tape was ripped to shreds, as was my cargo pants!

So no permanent damage done to the bike or me...but ouch, I am pretty sore today! Wheel on the truing stand, new bar tape applied and brake thrown in the garbage...and she's as good as new! I guess this is one way to ween me off the brake!

Anyways, i just wanted to share my fun!