Old 08-17-10, 10:35 PM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Campy Shifters/a0-spd Shimano Cassette - an option

For those interested in this configuration daVinci indicates on their website that they will soon have a modified derailleur that supports this configuration. I've got the 9-spd version and it shifts very well; Todd at daVinci is pretty innovative and I have no doubt that the 10-spd version will work well.

I'm currently running an 11-32, old folks gearing, and will use the 10-spd either for closer spacing or possibly and 11-36. My current thinking is closer spacing since I'm not sure I want to climb anything that needs a 24-36 gear. We're just about at the point where we can sustain a 10% grade if it's not too warm, steeper grades for short durations, so maybe we should leave tougher stuff for youngsters. Our goal, before we wear ourselves out, is to climb Henry Coe (done comfortably), Freemont Peak (done, uncomfortably on a warmish day), Mt. Tam (not done yet), Mt Hamilton (not done yet) and Mt. Diablo (not done yet). Once we can do these climbs non-stop we'll be able to do the medium tough Centuries in our area.

Anyway, if I happen to notice that the 10-spd mod is available I'll post something, I really do prefer the Campy shifters versus the Shimano gear I have on my single.