Old 08-18-10, 09:59 AM
timberline12k
timberline12k

Bikes: Felt F80

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am still not quite sure how you came up with those figures, but if I were to keep the same ratio and adjust each to stay within the manufacturers recommended range (45-70 PSI), I should be running around 45-50 PSI in the front and 60-70 PSI in the rear. When my bike shows up in a couple weeks, I will probably start with that pressure and adjust as needed.

Before reading this thread and linked article, I would have set both tires near 70 PSI. The lower pressure should deliver a softer ride. One of the main drivers to purchase a second bike was to find one that could travel where my road bike can’t and transport my DSLR. Anything that reduces shake will be better for my D700 which cost more than both bikes.

I have read the Marathon Plus can be slow, but I plan to ride on nearby Rail Trails. I don’t want to hassle with flats and am not looking for the speed of my road bike. The Marathon Plus is about the widest tire (1.77") I could find that fits on the Salsa Vaya. It provides maximum durability and protection while still offering moderate grip and speed.

That being said, is the Marathon Plus overkill for Rail Trails and should I look at the regular Marathon instead? The suggested PSI is the same for both.

Last edited by timberline12k; 08-18-10 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Added Question