Old 08-21-10, 07:29 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by YaBoiHeSoFresh
Been looking at them and I have to admit they make some beautiful saddles, which leads me to ask: are they really worth the price? Also, I saw they have quite a few different models, which ones would be best for a fixed gear? I don't know a whole lot about bike seats.
I have a Brooks Swift on my fixie, works like a charm. Some good advice on here, especially about saddle position. My theory is that a lot of people who have trouble with Brooks have the saddle level or nose down and end up with their weight borne by their perineum on the narrow part of the saddle. Having the saddle slightly (very slightly) nose up ensures your sit bones take the weight and the saddle breaks in correctly.

As for breaking them in, it does take a while but I have two (B17 on a touring bike) and they were both pretty comfortable out of the box. So it wasn't a case of suffering for 500 miles, it was more like a progression from OK to excellent. I think the Swift is better than the B17 for the more aggressive set-up of my FG, with the bigger saddle to bars drop.