Old 08-24-10, 07:34 PM
Seve

Bikes: 2009 Rocky Mountain RC30 D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chasm54
If you can afford it, yes you should, and no it isn't. Very few people buy custom, but there is much that can be done to make standard frames more comfortable - changing stem length and angle, saddle height and position, adjusting cleats and so on. Most of us got there by trial and error, but people often endure years of discomfort because they don't know what the problem is. And, of course, frames vary - so a 58cm frame from one model might be right, while you need a 56cm in another.

With regard to choice of bike, I agree with the suggestions about more relaxed geometry - Specialized Roubaix, Giant Defy, or light tourers. All very comfortable bikes and certainly quick enough for anything short of crit racing. And you might consider the Kona ***** tonk. Nice road bike, versatile enough to put a rack on if you wanted to tour or just carry some gear, looks pretty classy - to my eyes, at least...
Thanks for the suggestions chasm54. I have decided that I will go to a shop that will do a formal fitting and either pay for it or have it as part of a bike purchase.

I'm going to keep my current hybrid as I really like it and it already has a rack, trunk and panniers etc. which I use all the time to go shopping for groceries and all manner of things. Once I get a road bike I will probably leave the panniers on my hybrid all the time.

I'd like to end up with a pure road bike that I will only be using in non-urban areas for the most part.