View Single Post
Old 08-24-10, 09:21 PM
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Think you are safe on this one dnvrFox.

4 years ago and I changed to road from MTB's. That first road bike took some adjusting to and it took 6 months and a lot of practice before I was comfortable in the drops. The bike wasn't really there though for comfort but 1 year after starting on the road- I got a custom build on a frame. The LBS built it up as they thought I should ride it. The bars were 4" lower than the first bike and the top tube length pushed the bars further away. I had my doubts but they told me to take it for a ride and come back.

What a difference!!!!! I have never felt so comfortable on a bike. No back ache- I could reach the drop position with ease for as long as I wanted and the Hill I took it up was only a slope. Only problem was the neck ache but with practice even that would improve. 2 years later and I still had a problem so I took the visor off the helmet. That cured it immediately.

So watch out for the shortening of reach and raising of the bars- it is not always the solution. The longer more stretched out position has worked for me.

Attachments of the two bikes do you can see the difference in setup. The OCR is the first bike by the way.
Glad you were able to get set up so well. This is my commuter bike and I'm after comfort in all positions. I don't ride the drops too much either. I'm a mess from the neck to my hands.(carpal tunnel) in the hands and tendinitis in the shoulders and elbows.The back has been problematic since a fall down the stairs at age 16. docs say they see a bit of arthritis in there so thats kinda troublesome. Two delicate knees and questionable everywhere else. The only time I don't hurt so bad is on the bike except a bit of hand numbness so I am trying to eliminate that along with the back and neck stuff. Otherwise I'm in perfect health. At least my heart is ok (so far) I really like a more upright postition to commute. If I want to ride the drops I'll get my old Volare or my 96 Raleight Cadent out and go.

Last edited by stringbreaker; 08-24-10 at 09:24 PM.