Old 08-25-10, 08:39 AM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Urbanis
Dearest lexm, is it not a tad premature to be lusting after a Moulton? Didn't you just start riding a folding bike two weeks ago? And isn't space at a premium with all those scholarly tomes, the spouse, and the cats in that tiny Chicago apartment? Where are you going to find room to store three bicycles? And where are you going to find the money? Consider well, my friend, before you bankrupt yourself financially and spiritually in your mad pursuit of bicycles that fold.
Lexm has acquired not only the taste for bicycles, but unique ones as in the folding/separating variety. That is no joke in my book as least. So to answer your question of storing these bicycles in a 900 square foot apartment, how about just a 12x10 foot broken up with a large-number-of-windows-and-doors room alloted for my personal use within a 670 square foot poorly designed living unit? I did for a while until I decided to send off 2 bikes and just keep only 2 now. Where did I keep them all four of them? Anywhere I can. One was perched on top of my sewing table, a couple of them were in a good place for them and where I preferred to keep them in, and one was next to my bed which I had to climb over ever time I needed to sleep. I also stashed the one on the table underneath the table in a bag when guests arrived as in the photo below. I generally stored the sewing machines underneath the sewing table. The sewing machines were placed on the table (more acceptable to most people).

So if you really have your heart on your Moulton or some other similar bike, don't be swayed by the "where to place these bikes?" question. If you have some odd space of nooks and crannies, it could be done. Usually underneath tables or behind a chair, couch, bookcases, or the like. It does not really matter if they fold. separate, or both (i.e. Raleigh Twenty or some Bike Friday models). If you are worried about anything in your apartment being contaminated by the road debris that bikes do track in, keep the bike in a soft bag. It also keeps the cats off them (my cats like to perch on the saddles!). If you decide to store the bike underneath a bed or large table, use a Furniture Mover or Moving Dolly with Caster wheels (hidden underneath the bike in the photo) to make the bikes easy to get & save your back when you want them (one of my cats like to be pushed on the empty furniture mover/dolly).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Boardwalk Underne.jpg (95.3 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by folder fanatic; 08-25-10 at 09:02 AM.