View Single Post
Old 08-26-10, 05:13 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4244 Post(s)
Liked 1,348 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by wildergeek
[*]Can I expect to cover roughly the same number of miles on crushed limestone trail as I would be comfortable riding on highway asphalt? I would assume not but not sure how much less.
No, not quite. It will be somewhat slower (more resistance) and be less comfortable going "fast". Keep in mind that outbound from Pittsburgh is uphill to Deal (I think that's the high point).

I don't think it's "limestone". It's just road gravel (which isn't limestone). The surface (May 2009) was very good (mostly).

I look at the mileage charts and I think Cumberland is probably too short a ride (134 miles) to stretch out over three days. True or false?
When I did it, we road 45-75 miles in a day. The 134 miles isn't so bad for 3 days. Maybe, do the short day into Cumberland. Except for the "steep" uphill back to Deal (the high point), you'll probably do the run back faster (since it won't be novel). Keep in mind that you'll have less daylight in October.

Is Cumberland a good stopping point or am I cheating myself if I turn around there? Are there any must-see attractions if I go a bit father east?
Cumberland is as good a place as any.

I ride a Trek 520 with Bontrager Hardcase tires. Should I get some wider tires with a bit more tread? I have read lots of people using Conti Touring Contact. Are treaded tires a necessity on packed limestone or would I do okay with smooth 32c tires?
I used 35mm cyclocross tires. A friend used 32mm cyclocross tires. Both of us were using "normal" road bikes (touring/sport touring). The slicks should be OK on the GAP. You might prefer more tread if it is wet (but the gravel path should drain pretty well). The C&O is different because it's mostly packed dirt and gets muddy when it rains (and stays muddy for a while).

We leap-frogged a group of people on road bikes with road tires and they didn't seem to have much problem. I think the wider tires are more comfortable (and a bit more sure in a few places).

I do have an older Cadex mountain bike with 26" Schwalbe Marathon Winter tires that I could ride instead. Would it be bad etiquette to ride the trail with studded tires
Overkill. You might also want to hop off of the trail onto the road.

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-26-10 at 05:30 PM.