View Single Post
Old 08-26-10, 06:50 PM
droobieinop

Bikes: jamis xenith comp '08, trek 750 hybrid (w/drops) c.1995, centurian fixie, kona cindercone mtb c.2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qmsdc15
Are you suggesting riding something other than a Trek FX? Buy a fixed gear bike? Buy a road bike? Why, when you can have it all, the total package, FX fixie conversion, FX road bike conversion, FX mountain bike... !? Get with the program, droobie!
First, in order for a fixed gear to be possible a frame really has to have track fork ends or horizontal drop outs. The picture of the fx shows vertical dropouts. This does not mean that it is impossible but, highly unlikely that one will find the magic gear that will allow the proper chain tension.

I've been with the "program" since I purchased my trek 750 in '95. It rolled out of the shop with drop bars, aero levers and barcons. I've changed to brahma bars and trigger shifters, and now back to drops and brifters getting ready for cyclocross season this fall. My trek has been everything from a fully loaded commuter, with front and rear racks capable of touring, to being riden in my first road race. I don't have any pictures of my bike with the flat bars ot brahmas out there but, if you look back you should find my 750 post race, in this very thread.

My statement about the pedals was because keos are typically roadie pedals. I've never, and will never, put road pedals on my hybrid. I did put on some one sided spd pedals though. My reasoning for this was that I use my hybrid for transportation and recreation and like to be able to walk around wherever I go. You can't walk comfortably in shoes with road cleats on the bottom.