pwdeegan
smitten by саша

Bikes: Salsa La Cruz with Rohloff; mutt parts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dee_Ann
See, that frame size thing is what I don't understand. I thought bigger tires meant a bigger bike. Now I'm finding out there is this frame size thing.
no. wheel size is not the same as bicycle size. there are 26" bicycles that are too big for you, and 700c bicycles that are too small for you. bicycle size, for all intents and purposes, is determined by frame size. period.

I thought there were just kids bikes and adult bikes and then men's and women's models.
close. there are kid bicycles, and they are adult bicycles, more or less (even this can be vague). plenty of women ride "mens" bicycles (i cringe even typing this in quotes), and "womens" bicycles have found plenty of uses beyond just marketing to a shrinking subset of women (thinking here of the popularity in indy-rocker circles with the Mixte frame). if you want a step-through bicycle (i.e., a "womens" frame), especially for health reasons, then try finding an used frame. $150 is in pray-for-a-miracle range for a new bicycle. for an used bicycle---with some careful consideration----you should be able to do fine.

Oh yes, comfort! I like that. That's what I want. To sit upright and just pedal around all lazy like. :-)

Is there like a "Bicycles for dummies" book?
really: go to your local bicycle store and have a look around. you don't have to buy in order to become a more informed consumer. and when you eventually do buy, you'll have a good relationship with the people who will likely be fixing your bicycle. otherwise, for books, check out your library---for both books and periodicals!