View Single Post
Old 08-29-10, 09:30 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
I just picked up a 2010 Sojourn Friday August 27 that I will be riding from San Jose to San Diego starting Aug 31. I ordered the bike and had it shipped to the LBS way back in February.

I only have 20 miles on it (visiting son until I start my tour), but just picking up the bike by hand, it did not feel heavy to me, less than 35 lb. Probably 32 lb for a 59 cm frame size. This from a guy that commutes on a CF bike.

The welds on this 2010 frame are neat (not crappy as described above). I assume that may be a difference between 2009 and 2010. The 2010 also has 36 spoke wheels.

I special ordered a JANDD extreme front rack for it. I knew that the rack would take some work mounting with the disk brake and expected the LBS to leave that for me to accomplish. I even brought expected hardware for the job with me. My surprise, the LBS was finishing up mounting the rack when I walked in. They had gone to the trouble of getting hardware to make it work. The LBS also gladly pulled the leather bar tape, plus packaged it for me (to be used on a different bike at home) and wrapped cork/gel tape special ordered for me before I got there. They got to keep the stock pedals for even cost exchange on the bar tape. They installed the peddles and saddle I brought with me while I waited (Brooks saddle also goes on a bike at home - no way am I breaking a Brooks in while on tour). The mechanic that assemled my bike, also owns a Sojourn and says he loves his. He did a great job setting the bike up the way an experience rider would likely want it (all I had to do was adjust saddle height and tilt the saddle nose down a couple degress).

For anyone living in San Jose/Bay Area, and naters if you can make it up to San Jose. The LBS is: http://www.bicycleexpress.net/
They gave me a great price on the bike at $900. All my odering and discussions were by phone or e-mail (with Karen) until the day I picked up the bike.

Good luck

I was warned here in BFs that this LBS mostly dealt with college kids cruiser and mountain bikes but they did have great mechanics and were friendly (even loaning tools). Not the LBS to look for a touring bike. Since I already knew which bike and size I wanted, the mechanic info and price were the key to me.

Last edited by CB HI; 08-29-10 at 10:34 AM.