Old 08-29-10, 10:59 AM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Teinha
Had epiphany. Changing lifestyle. Gave away T.V. but couldn't give away the car (yet...) My point is that I decided to exercise more and need a suggestion regarding folding bikes (never ever had one). I teach at a university in the U.S. (Virginia), and campus is pretty flat. I don't plan to do any fast rides (just in-campus). Of course I've done some research and I'd love to have a Tikit or a Brompton but my budget is a modest $400. With your help, I would like to get a model that would be easy to fix and get parts. Thank you all.
You will be a good candidate for a Dahon made Boardwalk S1. This is a very popular and inexpensive model plus probably the longest running model still currently offered by Dahon. Even Performance Bicycle noted, "....It is the perfect starter for riders new to the wonderful world of folding bikes...." I owned one for almost seven years before I donated parts of it to the local Bike Co-op (don't worry, it became a donor bike to my Raleigh Twenty). It handles very much like a regular non folding bike with it's 20" wheels, single speed-no gears to go out of adjustment, rather upright riding position, and nice steel frame. It is not the lightest bike made by Dahon, but it folds compactly and will store inside your home, office, or auto safe from the weather & thieves.

If you check out the online stores like the ones listed below, you will see that your modest $400 budget will easily purchase a new one:

http://www.thorusa.com/dahon/current/boardwalk1.htm

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes//Product_10052_10551_1084816_-1___

And don't pass up my Website series-see below. I documented my experiences over the years with this model, plus another Dahon (Piccolo, now sold), a Brompton, and now a "new" Raleigh Twenty, photos too.

Last edited by folder fanatic; 08-29-10 at 11:21 AM.