Old 08-30-10, 05:04 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by hobkirk
Guilty of confusion! I propose the 75 ten days before. In the last 16 days, I've done done 3 55-mile rides and a 68, 64, and 60-mile ride. It seems to me that, despite what stapfam says, that it would be good to work out the eating and drinking on a ride that's got that extra hour or so. The nutrition usually isn't much of an issue on these rides, but it's around mile 40-50 that it affects me when it is a problem. I think I do better when I get an early start - I've noticed problems usually occur when I start around noon.
Thanks for clarifying.

I think your plan sounds great then -- do 75 miles 10 days out, then take it easier. For the last 10 days before the century, I'd do a mix of rest days, "easy" days, and a "moderate" ride or two.

I don't know what, for you, is "moderate" vs. "easy." For me, easy is about 15 miles, moderate is 25 to 30.

This year I've been experimenting with taking off *more* rest days before a long ride, and it's worked for me. I've taken 2 days off in a row before some big rides and have found it's been great for getting me motivated to get on the bike the morning of the event.