Old 08-30-10, 05:56 PM
GriddleCakes
Tawp Dawg

Bikes: '06 Surly Pugsley, '14 Surly Straggler, '88 Kuwahara Xtracycle, '10 Motobecane Outcast 29er, '?? Surly Cross Check (wife's), '00 Trek 4500 (wife's), '12 Windsor Oxford 3-speed (dogs')

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tligman
Is the temperature difference really a big deal?
The only thing that I've noticed is that snow builds up on the frame and drivetrain faster and thicker when the bike is warm than when the bike is cold. I think this is because snow will melt when it comes in contact with a warm frame, then immediately freeze. If the bike is already below freezing, most of the snow will bounce off. This only lasts until the bike cools down, but if you're throwing a fair amount of snow then you can pack the cassette full within minutes and lose the ability to shift. I suppose that more snow and ice on the frame means you're hauling more weight, as well.

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Bike thefts drop off when it's colder than -30C....
"I swear I didn't mean to steal the bike, I was just checking it out and my hand froze to the frame! I was walking it to the nearest warm water source to thaw us apart, and then I was gonna bring it right back, I promise!"