Old 08-30-10, 08:29 PM
Eclectus

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpy, Schwinn 974

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode a rode a Showers Pass 2.0 last winter. (I'm a Gore-Texer, but SP 2.0's eVent is actually out-of-patent first-gen Gore EPTF, with a new membrane-finishing treatment, so it's good stuff).

They have a women's cut version.

Good rain jackets don't conform to anybody's body well, they have to be somewhat baggy for under-shell airflow, so there's no reason why they would look better on a man than a woman.

I've never found a jacket that will keep me perfectly dry, unless maybe I ride really slow, because perspiration happens with exertion. Moving the sweat vapor out is as important as keeping the raindrops off.

I like the SP because it has multiple airflow-controls: double-front-zip, bottom-up as well as top down , pitzips (opens first at the arms, ends along the chest; 1st-generation opened at the chest then finally the arms, has been abandoned, double-zips allowing opening a hole wherever you want are rarely found in alpine gear, none in bikewear) and a back-vent, represent A-level thinking. Get one at REI, and if you test it all winter, and don't like it, get a full refund. Join REI and if you keep it, you get a 10% dividend-refund. I don't think there is a better deal out there for people who want to try new stuff out.

All waterproof membranes are windproof. If you shut all the venting down, no air will come through.

I buy stuff for my wife, because I know things she doesn't. She was having foot discomfort in June, enough that she had to stop after 20 mi, to take her shoes off to relieve foot pain. I got her some Sidi Eagle-Lady Dominator shoes (she loves riding SPDs) the discomfort was completely relieved. No relief stops necessary. Brilliant I am, but I don't even get to have Sidi shoes.

Last edited by Eclectus; 08-30-10 at 08:42 PM.