View Single Post
Old 08-31-10, 01:12 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Radial pliability makes no sense in a bicycle wheel. Tires are softer than wheels, by a heck of a lot. You can't tell the difference in radial compliance from one wheel to the next.
But I agree that a racing bike can be comfortable. It depends on what you're used to and your riding style.
Radially spoked wheels- And I am not talking the Cheaper wheels that are built to look better than they are- Are stiff in the vertical plane. They are very stiff. Get a lacing pattern where the spokes cross each other and there is some give to the wheel. This does not mean that you have a "Flexible" wheel but you do get a more compliant ride.

First Road bike I bought had cheap radially spoked wheels. They were not good- gave horizontal flex on cornering and were slow. (Mainly downhill where I had to slow down) Replaced them with the handbuilt wheels and the bike was transformed. X2 lacing and they cornered well with no flex. Ride was comfy and are still the wheels for a Century ride where the body cannot take continual jarring. And tyres will make a difference to a ride along with tyre presures- But I only ride 23's with high pressures so have nothing to compare with.

Spike Milligan