Old 08-31-10, 02:56 PM
Justin J

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
I also keep thinking of a BF'er who, in his quest to relieve neck pain, ended up with lower bars than before. He said that the extra-low position made his core carry the weight more than his arms, which put less pressure on his shoulders -- which, in turn, didn't jack them upwards and didn't force his upper spine-neck region to droop between them.
+1

I've got 2 herniated discs - one in the lower back and one in the neck. When I started riding this spring I got a hybrid for a more upright position because I was very nervous about my back. I have since switched to a drop bar bike, and I find what BarrackSi say is true. I have much less back pain now because my sholders, arms, and core are doing more of the work in holding me up. My shoulder muscles get soar on long rides, but it's soar like a good work-out, not soar as in neck pain. Same thing with my lower abs.

The only thing I have had to concetrate on is keeping my head up when I'm getting tired and not rounding my back. If I slouch, or drop my head, it will eventually to discomfort and pain. So I say riding drop bars are better, if you focuse on good posture, and in fact helps with posture when your not on the bike as your muscles get trained.

oh, and at the advise of pretty much every cyclist I've talked to on and off BF, I'm getting a proffessional fitting this weekend. I would imagine this is even more critical for those with back and neck problems like me.