Thread: A lot to learn
View Single Post
Old 09-01-10, 03:41 PM
jharte
Long Live Long Rides

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, converted for touring/commuting. 1984 Raleigh Team USA road bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You will get great ideas from lots of BF members that have thousands of touring miles. The ideas will be valid and awesome.

When I bought my latest bike (a 1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp) I wanted to 'continue' to tour. This bike was replacing a touring bike that was stolen and I bought the Rockhopper new in 1989.

The Rockhopper had BioPace front chain rings and a flat bar! I still did short tours because my focus was to get out and tour. I knew I would eventually change some things but I did that over time. Yes, I got rid of the biopace! BUT I also filed all of the teeth off of my 48T front chain ring. Never used it. Now it serves as a really cool chain guard and keeps grease off of my leg. I also ride with a 150MM stem and Scott AT4 Pro bar. This particular bike has well over 100K on it over 21 years of touring/commuting service.

I suppose my point is this: If you can ride the bike somewhere for a day or overnight, give it a shot. It will get you started. You will find out what works for you and what you want to change, BUT you will have gotten out on tour.

Every bike is as different as every rider. Keep in mind the ideas you get from your friends on BF. You might end up changing some things...or you might not. My .02

Jerry H