Old 09-03-10, 02:47 PM
DTownDave22

Bikes: hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bjoerges
The little lines are an area where a little more rubber is to provide some extra structural integrity along the tire bead.

Often, a tire will mount similar to what you've pictured, then when you inflate the tube it will pop into place (usually with a "POP" sound). If you're at pressure, worst cast is most likely to be that the tire runs a little out of round and will increase wear. Not really a higher risk of a blowout or puncture, other than perhaps a pinch flat.

If I were faced with this mount, I would drop the tire pressure significantly to where the tire is easily moved and adjust the bead before reinflating.
I think I initially misunderstood your post. It looks like that regardless of whether it's inflated or not, which confuses me and makes me think the tube is not quite right within the tire, because it's not sticking out. I'm just trying to figure out how I can get those parts of the tire where those lines or "witness line" are under the rim, to look like the rear tire and the rest of the front tire

The main reason I thought I'd ask is because getting this tire on was such a pain, figuratively and literally. I now have a sizeable blister on my thumb as using gloves didn't seem to really allow me to get the tire on. I'd prefer not to have to take it off, but in the end, if there is a easier way to get the tire on correctly (if it's not), then I'd like to be referred to some material--the park tool book I have--their instructions just were not working.

Last edited by DTownDave22; 09-03-10 at 02:55 PM.